I don’t often write things at length or with much polish on the blog, but here are a few rare long reads:
- An interview with Julie Taylor of Epona TV about the Blue Tongue scandal, Byrialsen, the FEI and equestrian media.
- A critique of the British Museum’s Saudi-sponsored exhibit, The Horse.
- Different styles of riding – English and classical – and what they tell us about culture.
- A not-so-short history of women riding astride.
- Women, horses and World War One: remount depot heroines.
- Hippophagy and humans: horse meat in the Telegraph.
- The European horse meat scandal and its backstory in nineteenth-century France.
- Why girls read pony books.
- How a feminist learned to love sidesaddle.